Job No: 510168
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Police Officer - Creating a lateral transfer list for possible future openings for current Law Enforcement Personnel
Department: University Police Department
Campus Location: Normal, IL
To provide police service to members of the University community. The incumbent is responsible for responding to calls for service (emergency and non-emergency), self-initiated police activity, special details, and community involvement.
1. Successfully completed at least 2 years of employment as a full-time sworn and certified law enforcement officer with a municipal law enforcement agency or a county sheriff's office within the State of Illinois or with the State of Illinois;
Satisfied the requirements established by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board;
2. Must not have been suspended for disciplinary reasons by the current or most recent employer.
3. Possession of a valid driver's license.
4. Any applicant hired must serve a probationary period of 12 months.
5. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
6. Offer contingent upon a psychological assessment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES FOR POLICE OFFICER:
1. Integrity (Being honest and ethical.)
2. Knowledge of Principles, Practices, and Procedures of Police Work (Ability to develop and maintain working knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of police work (such as Illinois Criminal Statutes, Illinois vehicle code, local ordinances, University rules and regulations, and civil law related to the police mission.))
3. Verbal Communication (Ability to verbally communicate effectively during normal as well as stressful and emergency circumstances; ability to communicate clearly in writing, using correct grammar and spelling.)
4. Decision Making and Problem Solving (Ability to analyze information and evaluate the potential results to choose the most appropriate solution.)
5. Verbal Comprehension (Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.)
6. Information Seeking (Ability to pay attention to detail; gather and arrange information; and prepare complete, concise, and accurate reports.)
7. Conflict Management (Ability to handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve grievances and conflicts.)
8. Knowledge of areas such as (but not limited to) psychology and customer service
9. Defensive Techniques (Ability to develop and maintain skill in the use of firearms and other defensive techniques (armed and unarmed).)
10. Vehicle Operation (Ability to operate a vehicle in a safe manner during normal as well as stressful and emergency circumstances.)
11. Computer Skills (Ability to use computer hardware and software (such as charting, data base, and word processing software).)
12. Ability to develop and maintain working knowledge of University community geography.
13. Ability to enforce laws, ordinances, rules and regulations with tact, impartiality, and firmness.
14. Ability to mentally and physically react effectively, quickly, calmly, and rationally during time of conflict and emergencies
To be determined
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to walk/stand during patrolling duty
2. Ability to wear utility belt weighing up to 15 pounds as part of official uniform
3. Ability to lift, carry, and push/pull up to maximum physical ability during emergency situations
4. Ability to bend, crouch, kneel and reach overhead
5. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
To be determined
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Certification of Retirement Annuity
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Illinois State University is creating a transfer list for potential future openings.
For full consideration, the application and all supplemental information must be submitted on-line. Please complete the entire employment application including the education and work history background. Please do not put "see resume" in the duties and responsibilities section of the work history. This will be considered an incomplete application and incomplete applications will not be considered. The employment application (not resume/cover letter) will be reviewed to determine if applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and a reference list of three business references with name/mailing address/title/phone number.
This position is represented by the Policeman's Benevolent Labor Committee.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement