Job No: 513823
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Medical Office Specialist
Department: Communication Sciences and Disorders
Campus Location: Normal, IL
Duties include scheduling, patient communication, filing, and billing support including verification of insurance eligibility and obtaining prior authorizations for services. This position will work on a team in a fast-paced environment, working directly with people.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent/GED
2. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months), from the categories below:
A. work experience comparable to that performed at the Medical Office Associate level or in other positions of comparable responsibility
B. college education with coursework in a medical or para-medical field such as nursing assistant, medical assistant or medical secretary and/or business field such as business, finance, computer science, public administration, or social science
-30 semester hours equals 6 months
-60 semester hours equals 1 year (12 months)
-90 semester hours equals 2 years (24 months)
work experience in a medical or para-medical fields such as nursing assistant, medical assistant or medical secretary
1. Two years of professional office experience in a medical setting.
2. Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
3. Knowledge of the Illinois State University campus and surrounding communities
4. Candidate should be a self-starter, remain flexible, and be able to prioritize and handle multiple, sometimes simultaneous requests for assistance.
5. Ability to adapt quickly from one task to another while maintaining attention to the details.
6. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with a variety of constituents and be able to work effectively with frequent interruptions.
7. Experience scheduling appointments in EMR.
8. Knowledge of administration and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files, and records, etc.
9. Knowledge of customer and personal service
10. Written and oral communication skills
11. Basic computer skills
12. Ability to effectively communicate with staff members throughout the hospital, patients and families, and volunteers and students
13. Ability to work under pressure and amid interruptions
14. Ability to read, comprehend and follow complex instructions
15. Ability to work with persons from a variety of cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
16. Data entry ability
17. Ability to perform simple calculations (e.g., adding, subtracting, and totaling)
Monday-Friday from 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Remain at a workstation for extended periods.
2. Move about in various locations across campus as needed to complete day-to-day work.
3. Effectively communicate on a daily basis.
$17.35-$18.00 per hour
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Transcripts- See Special Instructions to Applicants section for additional options
Certification of Retirement Annuity
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. Do not leave gaps in employment. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The employment application NOT the resume/cover letter, will be reviewed to determine if applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Other documentation such as college transcripts (may be unofficial) may be faxed, mailed, delivered to Human Resources, or uploaded under optional documents prior to the posting close date. In order to be eligible for Veteran’s Preference points on the exam, appropriate military service documentation, such as a DD214, may be faxed, mailed, or delivered to Human Resources:
Fax: 309.438.0011, Attn: Molly Buse
Address: Illinois State University
Campus Box 1300
Normal, IL 61790-1300
The Civil Service examination for this classification is based on your application materials. No participation other than submission of applicant materials is required from applicants that qualify to take the exam. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score calculated based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register by exam score. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the department for interview.
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement