Stage Management and Company Management – Illinois Shakespeare Festival 2024
Work type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Division Name: Academic Affairs
Department: School of Theatre and Dance
The Illinois Shakespeare Festival is seeking applications for Non-Equity Stage Managers, Assistant Stage Managers, a Company Manager, and Assistant Company Manager for the 2024 summer season.
NON-EQUITY STAGE MANAGER
- Significant stage management experience is required, preferably in a professional environment; however, in accordance with the U/RTA and Guest Artist AEA contracts, candidates must be working towards, or have recently completed their degree. The ideal candidates will have demonstrated strong stage management and leadership skills, work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, be self-motivated, and be able to lead a shows SM team as well as be able to teach SM interns.
- These are full season positions with contract dates of May 14 – August 7 (including prep week).
NON-EQUITY ASSISTANT STAGE MANAGER
- Stage management experience is required, preferably in a professional environment; however, in accordance with the U/RTA and Guest Artist AEA contracts, candidates must be working towards, or have recently completed their degree. The ideal candidates will have demonstrated strong stage management and leadership skills, work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, be self-motivated, be an enthusiastic team player, and be able to teach SM interns. ASMs will also work on the run crew for an additional mainstage show or work on the SM Team for the TYA show.
- These are full season positions with contract dates of May 21 – August 7.
COMPANY MANAGER and ASSISTANT COMPANY MANAGER
- Company management experience is required, preferably in a professional environment. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated strong company management, leadership, and people skills. They also will be able to work well in a fast-paced environment, be self-motivated, have excellent communication skills, and be willing and able to teach young professionals and interns.
- Company Management will need valid driver’s licenses.
- These are full season positions with contract dates of May 14 – August 7.
Housing is available at a reduced cost beginning on May 13/May 20 depending on start date.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed and positions filled as applications are received.
In addition to the required resume and cover letter, interested applicants are encouraged to submit images of their work, uploaded as a Word or PDF document. Alternatively, a link to an online portfolio can be uploaded in a Word or PDF document.
IF YOU ARE AN ISU STUDENT (enrolled in at least 6 undergraduate or 5 graduate credit hours during the Spring 2023 semester): Please do not apply to this posting. You will need to apply to the student employment posting, located here: https://jobsearch.illinoisstate.edu/en-us/job/517893/stage-management-and-company-management-illinois-shakespeare-festival-2024-isu-students.
The Illinois Shakespeare Festival is a professional repertory theatre company that produces Shakespeare and contemporary plays in the spirit of Shakespeare every summer at the beautiful Ewing Cultural Center in Bloomington, Illinois. The Festival hires professional Directors, Designers, Actors, and production personnel and offers a variety of internships to students from Illinois State University and other colleges and universities. The Festival sells an average of 10,000 tickets per year, is supported by Illinois State University and the Illinois Shakespeare Festival Society.
Salary Rate / Pay Rate
Positions range from $14.00 per hour to $17.00 per hour
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Additional requirements included in the General Summary
Stage management regular hours will adapt to the rehearsal hours of the show assigned and appropriate meetings. Hours will adjust to evening hours during performance. Company management regular hours will include both daytime and evening hours that will adapt to each days needed van runs.
Proposed Starting Date
Required Applicant Documents
Please Note: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Optional Applicant Documents
Images of work or links to online portfolio
Certification of Retirement Annuity
Please Note: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Special Instructions for Applicants
Extra Help employees may only work up to 28 hours per week for all University employment. Employees are only paid for hours worked and do not qualify for most benefits including health insurance and retirement, with Illinois State University. However, Extra Help employees are eligible to participate in the University’s supplemental retirement savings plans (403b). Applicable retirement information is provided at the time of hire. There is no guarantee that working as Extra Help will lead to or secure permanent employment. In addition, extra help employees may only work up to 900 hours total during their employment.
Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work history portions. Be specific on your work history, including employment dates (if part-time you must list the number of work hours) and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position; however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience. Please do not put "see resume" in the duties and responsibilities section of the work history. This will be considered an incomplete application and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Illinois State University is authorized to do business within the State of Illinois. All work under this appointment is required to be performed from within the State of Illinois.
Contact Information for Applicants
Production Manager, Illinois Shakespeare Festival
Important Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation and if applicable, an employment history review, based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation and/or an employment history review. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.