Job No: 513616
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Coordinator, Adventure
Department: Campus Recreation
Campus Location: Normal, IL
The mission of Campus Recreation is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging the active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction and reinforce healthy behaviors.
This position is responsible for the daily operation of assigned Adventure Program activities. The Adventure program includes team building, trips, equipment rental and climbing wall activities with special events occurring for both areas. This position is primary focused on the team building and trip program areas, but will participate in equipment rental and climbing wall activities as assigned. The position is responsible for training and mentoring a large number of students and may supervise up to 1 graduate assistant. The position has program and policy development expectations and is a member as part of the Campus Recreation leadership team.
Any one of the following, from the categories below:
A. Master’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Recreation, or closely related field)
B. Final semester or completed Graduate Assistantship with campus recreation or similar department performing duties for two (2) academic years consistent in area of specialization inherent to the position. *
C. Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Recreation, or closely related field)
One (1) year (12 months) of work experience in the promotion, design, development, and/or administration of recreational programs.
D. 4 years (48 months) of work experience in promotion, design, development, and/or administration of recreational programs, intercollegiate athletics, campus recreation, park district or similar organization that provides similar program.
*Note: Students in the final semester of a Master’s Degree program, may be allowed to complete a credential examination and will receive full consideration, including being interviewed. An offer may be extended with understanding that proof of degree based on institution is provided to the employing institution Human Resources Office at least two weeks before the proposed start date.
**Note: Newly hired employees may be required to obtain and/or maintain certifications in American Red Cross, CPR/AED/First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogens and similar certifications.
1. Master's degree preferred.
2. Familiarity with a broad range of outdoor equipment and the ability to maintain equipment inventory including procurement and rental operations.
3. Demonstrated experience successfully managing/facilitating a low and high ropes challenge course and/or indoor climbing and bouldering wall.
4. Familiarity with inspecting facility for risk management or maintenance concerns and resolving problems independently prior to activity.
5. Current membership/involvement in one or more of the following professional organizations: ACCT, AEE, AMGA, AORE, NOLS, NIRSA, etc.
6. Demonstrated experience in the training and supervision of student employees and volunteers to accomplish program operations.
7. Valid driver's license and/or ability to obtain valid driver's license.
8. Availability to work flexible shifts, evenings and weekends depending on activities being offered.
9. Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing.
10. Experience with successful event management and/or coordination.
11. Familiarity and comfort with Fusion or similar software package.
12. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first year of employment.
13. Current National Certification or equivalent in one of the following: ACCT Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner; ACCT Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner; ACCT Challenge Course Manager; AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor; PCIA Top Rope Climbing Instructor; and/or AMGA Single Pitch Instructor
14. Demonstrated experience using and maintaining a wide range of outdoor equipment as a component of a rental operation.
15. Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite 2010 or equivalent product.
Core work hours: 8:00 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday, but may vary based on program hours
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2. Ability to bend or stoop and reach above shoulder level on occasion.
3. Ability to use hands for fine and gross manipulation.
4. Move about in various locations across campus as needed to complete day-to-day work.
5. Remain at a workstation for extended periods.
$39,000 annual salary
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Transcripts-See Special Instructions to Applicants section for additional options
Certification of Retirement Annuity
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. Do not leave gaps in employment. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The employment application NOT the resume/cover letter, will be reviewed to determine if applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Other documentation such as college transcripts (may be unofficial) may be faxed, mailed, delivered to Human Resources, or uploaded under optional documents prior to the posting close date. In order to be eligible for Veteran's Preference points on the exam, appropriate military service documentation, such as a DD214, may be faxed, mailed, delivered to Human Resources, or brought to the Civil Service exam in order to receive the maximum eligible points:
Fax: 309.438.0011, Attn: Molly Buse
Address: Illinois State University
Campus Box 1300
Normal, IL 61790-1300
The Civil Service examination for this classification is based on your application materials. No participation other than submission of applicant materials is required from applicants that qualify to take the exam. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score calculated based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register by exam score. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the department for interview.
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement