Job No: 512803
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: University High School Assistant Football Coach
Employee Classification: Coach Laboratory School
Division Name: Academic Affairs
College/Unit: College of Education
Department: University High School
Campus Location: Normal, IL
To support the football program by assisting the head coach. To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self-discipline, self-confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her knowledge and skills
through coaching clinics, observations, consultation, etc.
• The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the community's
image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
• The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended time, and risk injury factor.
• It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the IHSA and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of the sports program.
• Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels.
• Meets attendance requirements for staff meetings.
• Follows the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques taught by staff.
• Attends clinics.
• Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times.
• Maintains discipline and works to increase morale and cooperation.
• Performs such other duties, which may be assigned by the head coach or Director of Athletics and Activities.
• Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
• By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
1. Hold a valid teaching/substitute license or pass the Coaching Essentials Course offered by the IESA/IHSA.
2. Qualified to coach football per IHSA by-laws
3. Ability to participate in practices
4. Ability to follow direction and theory provided by the head coach at the High School Level.
5. Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport.
6. Has substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
7. Serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.
Typical coaching hours
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Move about in various locations on and off campus as needed to complete day-to-day work
2. Effectively communicate on a daily basis
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Resume / C.V.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Initial application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, email, or mail will not be accepted.
Please prepare in advance separate documents representing a reference list (specifically, the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three professional references), work availability, and resume/C.V. to attach to this application.
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement