Job No: 512198
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Assistant Chef
Department: Event Management, Dining and Hospitality
The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is one of 13 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is committed to providing an outstanding dining experience for students, faculty, staff, and guests. The Assistant Chef, under the direction of the Unit/Executive Chef, will provide direct supervision of all culinary staff of a fast-paced university residential dining center serving meals to over 8,000 student meal-plan holders daily or overseeing all culinary aspects of the Catering operation. Culinary responsibilities include planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all aspects of the kitchen operation. Candidate must enforce high standards of food-safety, quality of products served, sanitation, and maintain a safe workplace environment. Other responsibilities include providing product specifications, menu counts, completing inventories, and maintaining good public relations with students, guests, and other university personnel.
Whether it's to find a place to study, gather with friends, enjoy a bite to eat, or plan a large event, the Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality takes great pride in providing welcoming and inclusive spaces, high-quality food services, and experienced and professional staff who care about making every experience individualized and extraordinary. It is our philosophy to recruit, inspire, and retain talented team members and promote wellness and foster their development. It is our goal to promote a more fully diverse and inclusive campus community.
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Four (4) years of food service management experience (University training in dietetics or in hotel, restaurant, or institutional management may be substituted, year for year, for the experience, up to a maximum of four years.)
3. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
1. Full knowledge and acceptance of diversity principles.
2. Interpersonal and communication skills, customer service skills, and flexibility. Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
3. Ability to supervise and train employees.
4. Ability to organize and prioritize, plan work schedules, and assign duties. Ability to handle many distractions at one time while remaining productive and making quick decisions.
5. Knowledge of automated menu and inventory management systems, such as CBORD Food Service Suite.
6. Ability to plan a variety of menus.
7. Ability to develop and test recipes and/or techniques for food preparation/presentation. Knowledge of food specifications, purchasing methods and applications, food storage, and food production management.
8. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce sanitation, HACCP, and safety procedures.
9. Skill in cooking and preparing a variety of foods; culinary experience preferred.
10. Ability to coordinate quality assurance programs in area of specialty.
11. Ability to keep accurate records.
12. Analytical and oral/written communication skills, including the ability to write clear and effective correspondence, reports, evaluations, training manuals, and other materials.
Preferred candidates will have Illinois Food Service Sanitation Certification. Certification required within 6 months of employment.
Shift and days off will vary
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
This position requires standing, walking, use of fingers and hands, reaching, lifting (up to 35 pounds), kneeling, stooping, crouching, speaking, seeing, tasting, and smelling.
Ability to stand for an extended period of time without a significant rest period.
Must be able to deal with extreme cold (-10F) and extreme heat (90+F).
Fall semester 2021
Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience, combined with an excellent benefits package
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Certification of Retirement Annuity
Transcripts (may be unofficial)
Food Service Certification
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Please upload a resume, cover letter, and a reference list of three business references with name/mailing address/title/phone number.
In order to receive the maximum eligible points for the civil service exam, you may upload a food service certificate under the optional documents, if applicable. In order to be eligible for Veteran's Preference points on the exam, appropriate military service documentation, such as a DD-214 may be brought to the exam, sent to Breanna Crippen by fax to 309-438-0011, or sent to Human Resources, Campus Box 1300 Normal, IL 61790-1300.
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement