Job No: 512154
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Graduate Assistant, Student Development
Employee Classification: Graduate Asst Pre Prof
Division Name: Student Affairs
College/Unit: EOC, Housing, Police
Department: University Housing Services
Campus Location: Normal, IL
The Graduate Assistant position is responsible for assisting the Assistant Director for Student Development in the facilitation and resolution of disciplinary cases originating in on-campus housing facilities. The Graduate Assistant will also assist in the planning, implementation, and close out of University Housing Services Summer Conferences Program. The work with Student Conduct includes conducting administrative meetings; as well as imposing and evaluating sanctions. The Graduate Assistant also assists in coordinating on-campus educational outreach programs for the student conduct process, and the development and maintenance of sanctions utilized by the disciplinary system to respond to student misconduct. The Graduate Assistant will also assist in updating vital summer conferences documents, creation of training materials and manuals, and outreach to conference sponsors. As time permits, this person may also provide assistance for other University Housing Services operations, including (but not limited to) policy manuals and website review, assignments, and billing appeals. Principal duties include but is not limited to:
• 35% - Conduct disciplinary conferences with students regarding the Code of Student Conduct and Residence Hall Policy violations.
• 30% - Assist the Assistant Director for Student Development with disciplinary in-take for housing referrals and review disciplinary complaints for cases not resolved by residence hall staff.
• 10% - Ensure sanction follow up for all students over which he/she serves as Case Manager.
• 5% - For those cases resolved by residence hall staff, assist in the review of all decisions to determine if finding and sanctioning are consistent with Code of Student Conduct philosophy. Notify students of (approved, rejected, or amended) decisions and provide appropriate follow-up to staff.
• 5% - Assist in preparing and updating vital summer conferences documents including but not limited to housing and dining agreements, website update, and Conference Programmer updates.
• 5% - Assist in providing orientation, follow-up training, and support to residence hall professional staff members and resident assistants in areas of conduct and summer conferences.
• 3% - Assist in serving as a disciplinary liaison to Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. This includes presenting educational programs based on need and/or request.
• 3% - Assist in maintaining of disciplinary records and database management including case auditing.
• 2% - Assist in the initial contact of summer conferences sponsors and campus partners.
• 2% - Carry out other relevant duties as assigned by the Assistant Director or Director of University Housing Services.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently on projects and execute from start to finish
• A strong commitment to the growth and development of students
• Prior experience working in a disciplinary office or living in a residence hall environment are strongly preferred but not required.
• Knowledge and understanding of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is also preferred
1. Eligible for appointment as per the requirements in the Graduate Assistant Handbook which can be found at http://hr.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/GA_Handbook.pdf
2. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
3. Must be a degree seeking graduate student at Illinois State University
20 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
October 1, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Note: If you have not yet been assigned a University ID, but are interested in applying for this graduate assistantship, please proceed with the graduate assistant application process. For the first question regarding your University ID, simply enter in nine (9) zeros (e.g., 000000000).
You must be eligible for employment in the United States and at Illinois State University and/or for the number of hours required for the position.
If you are an international student the rules/laws for your visa status may place limits on your employment eligibility. Students are responsible for knowing and following all applicable visa status rules/laws. If you are not certain whether your visa status allows you to accept an assistantship or additional work hours, contact the International Student and Scholar Services immediately for clarification. The University cannot grant exceptions to visa status rules/laws.
Illinois State University Graduate Assistants are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
Megan McKinnon - mmckin2@IllinoisState.edu
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement