Job No: 511489
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Food Service Administrator I
Department: Event Management, Dining and Hospitality
The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is one of 13 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high-quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
This position is an integral part of our dining operations staff. Led by experienced culinary professionals, we offer staff the opportunity to work in newly-renovated facilities and are committed to using quality ingredients and processes.
Whether it's to find a place to study, gather with friends, enjoy a bite to eat, or plan a large event, the Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality takes great pride in providing welcoming and inclusive spaces, high-quality food services, and experienced and professional staff who care about making every experience individualized and extraordinary. It is our philosophy to recruit, inspire, and retain talented team members and promote wellness and foster their development. It is our goal to promote a more fully diverse and inclusive campus community.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
-Plan, organize, and manage food production, and service in assigned location(s).
-Place orders, store and keep accurate inventory of necessary food stocks, small wares, and uniforms.
-Train, schedule, mentor, and evaluate full-time and student employees.
-Take a direct role in maintaining good customer service and solving guest complaints.
-Maintain equipment, complete work orders, and make recommendations for facility improvements.
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Two (2) years of food service supervisory experience or University training in dietetics, hotel management, institutional management, or related fields (verify with transcript).
3. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
1. Full knowledge of current food management techniques, which include purchasing, food production and control, service, personnel management, marketing, financial management, facilities management, and health and safety regulations.
2. Supervisory and leadership skills; ability to train, instruct, and discipline employees; ability to organize, prioritize, and assign duties; ability to meet deadlines.
3. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce all policies and procedures, especially those pertaining to sanitation and safety; ability to regulate sanitation guidelines to preserve department standards.
4. Strong interpersonal skills; cooperative, flexible, and customer-oriented; ability to deal effectively with employee and customer conflicts; the ability to produce results working as part of a team or committee.
5. Computer skills, including menu management systems; accurate record keeping skills.
6. Ability to analyze a Profit and Loss statement and recognize problem areas and recommend corrective controls.
7. Full knowledge and acceptance of principles of diversity.
8. Excellent analytical and oral/written communication skills, including the ability to write clear and effective correspondence, reports, evaluations, training manuals and other materials.
9. Possess Illinois Food Service Sanitation Certification or must obtain within 6 months of employment.
Shift and days off will vary, weekend and evenings are frequent.
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
This position requires standing, walking, use of fingers and hands, reaching, lifting (up to 35 pounds), kneeling, stooping, crouching, talking, speaking, seeing, tasting, and smelling. Ability to stand for an extended period of time without a significant rest period. Must be able to deal with extreme cold (-10F) and extreme heat (90+F).
$15.43 - $18.89 per hour
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
Certification of Retirement Annuity
Transcripts (may be unofficial)
Food Service Certificate
PLEASE NOTE: These documents may be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and a reference list of three business references with name/mailing address/title/phone number.
In order to receive the maximum eligible points for the civil service exam, please upload transcripts and food service certificate under the optional documents by posting close date, if applicable. In order to be eligible for Veteran's Preference points on the exam, appropriate military service documentation, such as a DD-214, may given to Testing Coordinator at time of exam, be sent to Breanna Crippen by fax to 309-438-0011, or sent to Human Resources, Campus Box 1300 Normal, IL 61790-1300.
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
Application Closes: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement