Job No: 511374
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Student Help Regular
Employee Classification: Student Help Regular
Department: International Studies
Management Development International (MDI) is the focal point for development management training seminars at Illinois State University. Founded in 2002, MDI provides participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in a challenging and continuously changing world. MDI programs serve participants with a diverse range of interests and backgrounds. Participants come from government, nonprofit and private organizations.
MDI Professional Development Programs are geared to provide participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in a challenging and continuously changing (global) environment.
The MDI Student Assistant will be interacting with the participants in the MDI Program. The participants are professionals and high-ranking officials from different international organizations or ministries. The Student Assistant should be familiar with different cultures, traditions, and beliefs. Participants in the MDI Program are English (Anglophone) and French (Francophone) speaking individuals, and they come from Asia, Africa, Latin America, Eastern and Central Europe, and the Caribbean.
The Student Assistant will assist the Unit Coordinator and Program Assistant with various programmatic needs of the MDI program; including clerical, administrative, and logistical aspects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with translation during the MDI training sessions (French/English or English/French)
2. Assist in various American studies programs, workshops, and activities in the International Studies Unit
3. Help in preparation of instructional materials, welcome packets, graduation packets, etc.
4. Chaperone group or individual participants during campus tour, socio-cultural and business site visits
5. Responsible for transporting participants and to/from campus, their hotels during scheduled classes, and to scheduled socio- cultural and business site visits
6. Transport the participants to the clinic or hospitals as necessary, and to the post office, banks, and bookstores as needed
7. Transport to/from BMI airport and/or the bus or train station in Uptown Normal Peoria Charter Coach or Amtrak
8. Coordinate and create arrival and departure log of participants
9. Create socio-cultural and activities calendar
10. Transport out-of-state MDI instructors to/from airport, hotel, campus
11. Assist MDI Coordinator and Program Assistant in preparing or assembling lecture materials
12. Update MDI participant data file
13. Act as liaison and interpreter to the Francophone (French speaking) participants
14. Other duties as that will be assigned from time to time
1. Must be fluent in French. If not fluent in French, please do not apply.
2. Must have a valid US driver's license.
3. Must have a good driving record.
4. Able to work in a culturally diverse environment.
5. Knowledgeable in African, Asian and Eastern and Central European cultures.
6. Able to work flexible hours including weekends.
7. Be able to operate a 12-15 passenger van. (Training will be required and conducted at ISU).
8. Familiarity driving within the State of Illinois; including but not limited to Springfield and Chicago.
9. Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
10. Experience Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point), E-mail.
11. Be punctual at all times.
Hours will vary.
Resume, Cover Letter
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
In addition, all appointments are contingent upon proof of eligibility for employment at Illinois State University to perform the required duties described above on your scheduled start date. The Immigration and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires all new employees to file an I-9 in person and no later than three days from the beginning of employment. This may be accomplished within the department or through Human Resources. A list of the types of documentation you will be expected to provide is available at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents/form-i-9-acceptable-documents. Failure to comply with this law will result in cancellation of your appointment.
Illinois State University, as your employer, is required by federal law to ensure proper tax withholding from wages and to ensure that the required reporting of employee wages, withholding, and employment taxes is accurate. For this reason, every employee must have a valid Social Security Number registered with the University at the time of employment and/or as soon after as possible, but no later than 45 days from the start date. Failure to comply with this law may result in cancellation of your appointment.
Illinois State University student employees are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
International students are restricted by their visa status to no more than 20 hours per week of on-campus employment when the university is in session, but may work more when the university is not in session. International students should contact the Office of International Studies and Programs for guidance if they have questions concerning employment restrictions.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement