Job No: 511089
Work Type: On Campus
Location: Normal, Illinois
Title: Career Services Career Ambassador
Employee Classification: Student Help Regular
Department: Career Services
In Career Services, our Career Services Ambassadors provide their peers at Illinois State University with assistance on reviewing resume, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles while also providing career resources and facilitating a number of presentations to equip students with tools to enhance their professional and career development skills. Career Ambassadors are an essential part of the Career Services team and help over 2,500+ students a year. As a Career Ambassador, you will also develop professional skills in the areas of communication, teamwork, critical thinking, diversity and inclusion while networking with employers and other campus consistent as you grow your career. Career Ambassadors are student leaders who are passionate about developing themselves while also assisting others on their journey.
- Guide and provide constructive feedback to students with review of resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, and other career related questions in person and virtually
- Provide career-focused presentations to a wide range of campus audiences and sizes both in person and virtually
- Embrace cultural differences and facilitate a supportive, welcoming, and inclusive environment
- Assist Career Services staff with physical set-up and take-down at events/programs, help with guest registration, and provide assistance to guests at events
- Assist Career Services by greeting/assisting students at the Career Resource Hub and help students with resume printing services and connecting students to appropriate resources
- May be asked to participate in marketing promotions such as videos and photoshoots
- Utilize a variety of technology platforms to complete position responsibilities (Zoom, Microsoft Word, Teams, Hire-A-Redbird/Symplicity)
- May have option to be a peer instructor for IDS 106 – Career Choice
- Positively represent the Career Services to students, employers, and other constituents
- Complete other office duties and projects as assigned
- Adhere to all office and university policies and procedures
- Comfortable working with diverse student populations in a group and individual settings
- Must be a current Illinois State student. ALL majors and international students welcome to apply
- Must be able to commit to work at least two consecutive semesters
- Must work up to 15 hours a week, extra hours available depending on events and presentations
- Available for some evenings and weekend hours for presentations and career related events
- Must possess desire to help peers and provide excellent customer service
- Ability to adapt to the changing work environment
- Experience in, or willingness to develop, presentation skills
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of a team
- Problem solving skills and ability to refer students to appropriate resources
- Must maintain confidentiality of student information and be detail oriented
- Must be in good standing with both academic and university conduct at time of application & throughout employment
- All CAs must be available for our Summer Training. Training will occur in August the week before school starts. Additional training activities will be held during regularly scheduled hours.
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
August 9, 2021
Resume, Cover Letter, Reference List
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
In addition, all appointments are contingent upon proof of eligibility for employment at Illinois State University to perform the required duties described above on your scheduled start date. The Immigration and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires all new employees to file an I-9 in person and no later than three days from the beginning of employment. This may be accomplished within the department or through Human Resources. A list of the types of documentation you will be expected to provide is available at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents/form-i-9-acceptable-documents. Failure to comply with this law will result in cancellation of your appointment.
Illinois State University, as your employer, is required by federal law to ensure proper tax withholding from wages and to ensure that the required reporting of employee wages, withholding, and employment taxes is accurate. For this reason, every employee must have a valid Social Security Number registered with the University at the time of employment and/or as soon after as possible, but no later than 45 days from the start date. Failure to comply with this law may result in cancellation of your appointment.
Illinois State University student employees are restricted to no more than 28 hours per week of on-campus employment for all positions held.
International students are restricted by their visa status to no more than 20 hours per week of on-campus employment when the university is in session, but may work more when the university is not in session. International students should contact the Office of International Studies and Programs for guidance if they have questions concerning employment restrictions.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Application Opened: CST
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Great, we can send you jobs like this, if this is your first time signing up, please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
The email address was invalid, please check for errors.
You must agree to the privacy statement